Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Can you name the African Big 5?


Saturday we left for our little safari adventure with the girls. There is a private game reserve called Fairy Glen about an hour from my Mom’s house; it was named by a Scot, for the large dragonflies that live in the valley. We saw two elephants, sprinkbok, Cape buffalo, ostriches, and a few other varieties of buck upon arrival. The girls were super excited to see them! Out chalets are in the reserve in a ‘safe’ area, so we can see plenty of animals from our room.

My Mom and I went on a nature drive/walk after we got there and I saw some baboons and we learned about the fynbos. After our braai dinner at the lodge, our Ranger, Deon, invited us to see the elephants up close. Since it’s a small private reserve, the two elephants actually come in at night and the Ranger invited us to feed them! What an awesome experience! Warren and I got right in there, Logan was timid, so stood out and watched, but sweet Madelyn was right in there shoveling little handfuls of food into their trunks. She’s still telling everyone, “I feed the big elephant!”

2 comments: